Wednesday, May 30, 2012

titles are little buggers

 I have not been very exciting lately, have I? The truth, my dears, is that often writers are nothing more than short glasses-clad research freaks with lots of ink stains on their long fingers. It could very possibly be a crime that pulp fiction writers get published before the slave laborers.

 There has been a whole exciting pile of nothing going on lately; I'm afraid I got sidetracked working on a novel that no one will probably want to read so I'm writing for myself.

 My predicament is often that I work on too many stories at once. When I really get excited about a scene that I wrote, I often beg my friends to read them. While I'm expecting some feedback along the lines of...
       "I think Mairy is a little quiet in this chapter, you should make her chatter as her father cuts the wood. And I don't like how slow it is in this spot, if you'd cut it out or add a different adjective it would lend a nicer transition. The tree description was my favorite part!"
...it is often a hollow and dull remark of "Oh, I liked that a lot." or a complete scrutiny of grammar rather than real help, and so then I feel like a completely useless writer and don't want to work on a story again until I can make it so that when one reads it they fall out of their chair, sobbing and blubbering around that that story changed their life forever and they love it so. But I don't want to completely give up on the story because I love it, so it goes to the back of my head.

 At the moment I'm detailing Deceptive, battling against opinions with other writers about the world building elements of my Christian Sci-Fi novel (writing messages boards are privately thought of as psychological battle grounds), doodling around with my own private novel, and writing a line or two on my typewriter.

 This is the quandaries of life some times. Not to mention that it's very hard to work on a near-death scene when your dad is singing a very, very dated Spanish disco song at the top of his lungs while he makes coffee. Eh. Don't tell him I brought that up.



 Camp National Novel Writing Month June starts on Friday. Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. i loved this post.
    i'm not a novely type writer, but i write 24/7. and completely for myself. every once in awhile something will pop up that's good enough to share. haha. but normally i just do it for me:)

    btw. the title of this post is epic.
    just plain epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not write at all beyond me blog.... But I enjoy your blog! <3

    And it is so true that tiles are the pain of the century!!! I hate them! I could totally do without them if it didn't have to say "untitled". :-P Oh well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUUUUUDE. your stuff is amazing and u kno it.
    XD Gah, sometimes I just hafta use no capitalization and no punctuation.. just to make myself laugh. Bad habit.
    BWAHA, anywhooo... you need to finish that book, dude. and Publish it. Or at least print a few copies and give me (a signed) onnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee.
    I give good advice... ;)
    MWAHA, yop.
    Your dad is amazing. that last line = EPIC AND NOVEL WORTHY. Actually, he sounds like somebody I would create in a book...
    Okay, I'll stop rambling now. xD
    -BEEZEE

    ReplyDelete

Yakkity smack.